Friday, August 27, 2010

you say catsup i say ketchup

I've been making a lot of ketchup recently.  I'm trying to perfect my recipe.  sweet, but not too sweet.  should i add in more herbage?  more vinegar?  to sieve or not to sieve?
While heinz is my benchmark, it's certainly not made from ingredients i would want in most of my food, nor is it local, nor is it organic (there is a small distribution of heinz made without HFCS).  It's tastier and cheaper to make it yourself.  Not to mention you know exactly what is in there and you don't waste yet another plastic bottle. Cup and Saucer make their own for their dining room.

My ketchup recipe isn't ready for the primetime.  When it is, i will share it here.  But i must have started a trend: Portland chef Micah Camden, of DOC and Yakuza fame, has started his own ketchup brand. I'm not sure i can compete without a good source of hemp for my recipe.  Just look at that snazzy bottle!

Ketchup has its time and place.  And its certainly a required condiment in most refrigerators.   I'm certainly going to get a bottle of Camden's Catsup. Even if i do use <gasp> mayo, or <gasp> hot sauce more often these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment